Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Mmmmmm Icing . . .




There is a family that makes terrific cakes. The icing is to die for! I have always bought cakes and cupcakes from the daughter who is also a co-worker. She is pregnant and no longer doing cakes and her mother is retired. Aaaaaahhhhh! My icing! I decided to try a few recipes and this one was a SUPER close substitute.

Buttercream Icing

2 egg whites (large eggs)

3 tbsp. water (omit water when using food coloring)
1 1/2 c. Crisco shortening
1 tsp. salt
3 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. almond extract
2 lbs. powdered sugar

Mix well with a mixer on low. You can add Karo or Corn Syrup to make it a bit more fluid, but I did not need to.


I believe I have posted this video before about filling icing bags without mess, but it is worth it's weight in GOLD so I will post it again.

No comments: