Friday, April 21, 2006

Mothers . . . .

Oh my. . . what a week. Robert returned from Texas on Monday. You can read all about his trip on his blog. I won't take the time or his thunder. . .

I've talked before about my mom being my boss. This next week we have our annual Week of the Young Child celebration at our daycare. It is a huge week with a different family event each day. On Friday, we have a huge Spring Program. The kids have been working on songs to perform as well as artwork and the like. It is a BIG undertaking with 269 kids. We have about 650 people come for the program on Friday.

You'd think after doing this for so many years, you could relax and enjoy it. Not my mother, she micro-manages everything. Actually she had been doing really well. She was pretty mellow and had been enjoyable to be around. Then last night IT hit . . . the panic. You see, I definitely get my OCD from somewhere. I thought she was going to explode. Everything is under control, everything has been going smoothly. That's the problem, she thought it was too smooth. In her mind it couldn't be the fact that she has compotent staff that things are under control, it must be that she's forgotten something really important.

To add insult to her injury, Robert got a callyesterday about his uncle. Uncle Junior has been struggling with cancer for about 2 years now. He was put in the hospital last week to have a feeding tube put in, and he isn't doing well. There's not much else the doctors can do. He isn't expected to live through the weekend. I know that if Junior dies next week I will not be able to go to Kentucky for the funeral due to Week of the Young Child. It is a BIG part of my job. Yesterday I told my mom about Junior. She heard "possible funeral" and turned me off. She thought I would be leaving and not be here sometime next week. So, I guess I was part of the freak out. Today when she grumpily called me in her office to give me list as long as my arm to do for the celebration she said "Since you're prabably not going to be here, I'm gonna have to do even more." I had to set her straight, I said, "Had you listened to me yesterday you wouldn't be so freaked out."

Working with your mom is *super* . . . she says rollign her eyes. . .

No comments: