The stairs have been finished as much as they are going to be for now. If they hold up, I will likely make a few changes and take time to caulk all the joints in the wood and repaint the edges so things look clean and finished. For now, they are good enough!
I ended up purchasing 16 x 24 carpet tiles from the Dollar Store (!!!) and a package of 97 cent nails with larger heads. I did have to purchase 2 different tiles due to availability, but that is my favorite part. I simply cut the tiles in half and tacked them on the treads with the nails. $11 and I am so pleased with how they look!
The kids picked the words so they are all a bit different. If I had picked them out they would all be the same family (like they would all be verbs) but it was a joint project and they are thrilled with their choices.
It is nearly impossible to photograph the steps, so these photos will have to do :)
Memories on a wall (and in a phone)
11 hours ago