Sunday, September 11, 2011

Colors, Colors . . .

Today is my brother's birthday. What do you get a man who buys what he wants? He just moved into a new apartment a couple months ago, so I decided the kids and I needed to make him a piece of art!

This is floating around the internet and is all over Pinterest. (If you want an invite, send me an email or leave a comment with your email and I will send you an invite) I decided I could so do one and I thought Uncle Josh might like it, so we gave it a try.

I bought these wrapped canvases at Walmart for $6 for two! The crayons were only 40 cents. I definitely bought Crayola because I know that they color better because they are made with better wax so I thought they would melt much better.

First thing I did was to line up the crayons in a basic rainbow order. I hot glued the crayons on the end of the canvas (being careful to line up the label) and hot glued them on. You take a blow dryer on hot and melt the crayons letting the color drip down the canvas.

Watch yourself, the wax is hot and if you use the high setting it does tend to fling the wax around. See my hand? I used low and it was much more controlled.

This was our finished product. While I like it, I thought that the crayons looked a bit too kiddie for Uncle Josh. So I decided to try it a different way . . .


This time I glued the crayons onto a piece of 1x2 I had in the closet. This time I wasn't concerned with the labels so it was much faster. I glued the crayons so they are just barely off the wood peice and then glued the wood onto the end of the canvas. I once again melted the crayons with the blow dryer.

I also blew wax all over my arm!

The crayon-wood combo came apart from the canvas easily and I think I could use it one more time to melt onto another canvas. The crayons are less than half gone.


Here are the two different versions. I think the one with the crayons is fine, but I like the one without the crayons much better!

What do you think? Sound doable! Super easy, trust me. And for only $7 for two prints . . . totally affordable!

Happy Birthday Uncle Josh!

4 comments:

Joe said...

I love it!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love that! I think I see one hanging in the Waters' house in the near future. I will name it "The Sheri."

Ashley's Mom said...

What a great idea! And yes, I like the one without the crayons even better!

Becky said...

You need a "like" button. Way cool!!