Wednesday, May 04, 2011

You must be joking . . .

Unfortunately she is not.
I was directed to a blog about a week ago by the lovely and talented Mamapundit and I have enjoyed reading Monica's posts. Today she posted an article for Babble in which she says drinking occasionally while pregnant is okay. The Girl Who has lost this reader forever! For all that is holy, spend one HOUR with my son and tell you you want to take that risk for your precious babies!

Her premise is you COULD drink a bit while pregnant and you COULD get a perfectly fine child. My premise is, you COULD stab yourself in your pregnant belly and your child COULD totally be fine, but why would you take that chance?

She says "Come give me The Business. Or save me from The Business I'm about to get from a lot of folks." I gave her the business. It was respectful too. (shocker I know!) Head on over and do so, of course if you have high blood pressure you may not want to read all the other commenters. I kinda threw up in my mouth a bit.

3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

Went their, kept it short and sweet. These people remind me of teenagers and their feelings of immortality- it couldn't happen to me- I am invincible. What is truly sad is that they do not have any idea of the human wreckage they are perpetuating. So sad.

Sue in Tenn said...

I was actually directed to your blog from Monica's post. I love reading her blog but I must respectfully disagree with putting the word out for others that it is OK to drink during pregnancy. The reason I am here is that I have an adopted son whom I have always thought had problems related to his birth mother's extreme use of crack cocaine during the first trimester (she was incarcerated during the final months--thank God!)

According to what you said, the problems from FAS are more prevalent than those from the cocaine. (another poster may have said it, can't remember.) His birth mother was also a heavy drinker and he has issues such as poor impulse control, low working memory, anger issues, learning disabilities, judgment problems, difficulty learning from consequences, right and wrong, etc. etc. He is currently in special ed because he cannot seem to function in a regular classroom setting mostly due to focusing issues. He is just too distractable. Again, I thought from the crack cocaine exposure. How does one tell the difference? Most drug abusers also abuse alcohol and vice versa.

I am trying to learn of resources available for children like mine. He does not really fit the criteria for ED, which is where he is placed because there is no other place for him in our school district in Knoxville, TN. He is very bright in subjects other than math, a very gifted artist, and a sweet, loving child. He is in a class with ED children, some of whom I consider violent (he is not).

Apologies for the length of this post. I appreciate the knowledge that I know this blog will provide. I have been looking for something like this for a long time. So, although Monica has lost a reader, you have gained one! Thank you and I look forward to becoming a regular reader.

Attila the Mom said...

Not going, not going. My youngest, who was originally from foster care, was born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

Nobody can say how much is too much or too little. Why take the risk?