Sunday, October 24, 2010

Healing . . .

I have made many a post on Christianity and my struggles with organized religion. But let me bore you again with some random musing on Christianity, special needs kids and healing.

Let me fill you in quickly on my beliefs. I believe that Jesus is the son of God. I believe that he was crucified and rose again to save me. I believe that it is my responsibility as a Christian to follow his teachings. I believe that I am not infallible. I sin daily. I ask for forgiveness when mistakes are made and try the next day to do better. I believe God is a God of healing. I believe I will go to heaven when I die. That's it in a nutshell.

In addition to that I believe God is a God of peace. I believe he tells us to love others. I believe we are supposed to show people love and understanding and have tolerance. I believe that people have free will and while I may not agree with their decisions, I cannot judge them for making them. I believe that they will not consider my view on things if I choose intolerance. It is my job to be the hands and feet of Jesus on Earth with kindness, charity, benevolence and love being of supreme importance. I also believe that God knows what is best for me. I believe that things are done in His timing and because He knows the big picture, it's always best. I believe it's not my job to question that.

All that being said, I would love for Dustin to be healed. I have no idea if that is in the cards or not, but I don't pray for that. He was born with organic brain damage. I don't look at him like he is ill. I see him for who he is and who God allowed him to be. I accept him and his disability. Do I pray that he will get better, yes! But I never have prayed that the FAS goes away in the same way I have never prayed that Harrison's ADD goes away. Could God do that? I believe he could. Does that mean I don't have faith that he will do it for Dustin? I don't think so. God doesn't need me to heal him if he wishes.

I have faith that our life will get easier. I have faith that things will work out. I have faith that while I continue to trust daily in God that life will go easier than if I didn't. I rely on therapy, medication, kind thoughtful doctors, and lots and lots of patience. I pray for guidance and direction. I pray for peaceful spirits and a hedge of protection around my family.

Does that make me less of a Christian. I don't think so. I think God gives us things like therapy and medication to facilitate what he has for us. I think refusing psychiatric medication, chucking away therapy and simply relying on God to fix things is just as dangerous as those religious zealots who refuse medical treatment for illnesses.

My two cents, what do you think?

3 comments:

GB's Mom said...

It reminds me of the story of a man who prayed he would win the lottery. After many lotteries passed with out the man winning, he asked why God wasn't answering his prayer. A loud voice came from the heavens, saying , "You could at least meet me half way and buy a ticket :)

Joe said...

It is raw, impassioned, honest and thought provoking posts like this that makes your blog one of the best that I read.

I don't have any answers to the questions that you raised other than to reiterate the one word that kept popping up ... "faith" ... I think the answer lies within that.

Attila the Mom said...

Oh golly, lots and lots to think about there. I too believe He is a God of healing. Last year at this very day when my son lay dying in the hospital I could feel the wave of support from hundreds of healing prayers. I'm not going to debate the ins and outs with anybody.

I just tell them, "I believe."

Great post!