Saturday, October 10, 2009

Eeeewww! . . .



I HATE bumpy things. I have no idea what it stems from, but it has been that way my whole life. I get all freaked out and my skin crawls. I get shivery and I my breathing changes? Why? I don't know. Some things gross me out more than others. Have you ever seen the little bumpy spore things on leather leaf? (that green filler plant that they put in fresh flower arrangements) Nasty! Those barnacles that "grow" on the piers in the ocean. Eeew! Just talking about them makes me itchy and tense.

This crazy thing I have about bumpy things has been hereditary. My kids do not like bumpy things either. It is not because I have talked about my craziness or freaked them out because I really don't even like to talk about it. When Harrison was little and he found that his hands got prune-y in the bathtub he would gag! Tonight McCartney ran away when I was taking the picture of the gourds above screaming, "I don't wanna TOUCH them!"

The one thing that nasties me out more than anything is bumpy gourds. It gets me mad fun of all the time! My husband laughs and points them out to me, girl's a work buy them and put them on my desk. Ha Ha! Real funny! I won't even touch them to put them in the trashcan!

The picture above was a real step for me! LOL I had to actually stand close to them, look at them and take the picture. Seriously, I maybe making fun of myself, but it truly was a stretch for me to do it! I am proud of myself! :)

The picture illustrates the levels of ickiness! Let me explain . . . 1. Gourds that have some bumps. These used to really creep me out but as I have forced myself to look at them they bother me less and less. They remind me of zits. They are the lowest in the creepy factor heirarchy. 2. Gourds with the flappy things. Even though these aren't exactly bumpy, these are worse than the minor bumpy ones. Why? Dont know, but they make me more creeped out than others. It just seems so unnatural to me. (and they remind me of ears) 3. Gourds that are covered with bumps. Major creepy! When the bumps are many different sizes they are bad, but ones that have little bumps on larger bumps are the worst! There was a really gross one in the bin that described the worst of the worst, but I couldn't bring myself to take that picture. (see I am nuts!)

For reference, corn does not gross me out. I think it may be becuase all the bumps are uniform and neat. Maybe that is what it stems from . . . my OCD. Which reminds me, I heard a funny joke today. . . I am not OCD, I am CDO. I'm so OCD that my disorder has to be alphabetized!

4 comments:

Linda said...

oh my gosh this is funny! Every year I take the kids out to my dads and we get pumpkins and pick out gourds too. The gourds are on two huge flat wagons and plumb full. Now I will never look at another one without thinking of you freaking out! The first step is admitting you have the problem, Sheri...ha ha

FosterAbba said...

So I imagine if the Elephant Man showed up at your place of work, you'd have a really hard time.

He's really bumpy!

Mama Drama Times Two said...

Ok - true confessions - I dont mind the bumps on gourds because they are supposed to be there - but warts on a nice smooth orange pumpkin EEEWWWW!!!!

Miz Kizzle said...

OMG! I can't believe you hate the little black round things that grow on the back of leather leaf! I hate it too. It gives me the heebie-geebies.
And empty wasps' nest make me feel all shivery and not in a good way.