Sunday, August 09, 2009

Greatest tip ever . . .

Originally posted at Supper Slackers, my recipe blog. . .

A week ago I was eating in a local mexican restaurant. I went to dig into my guacamole and the entire scoop was filled with the avocado seed. When I mentioned it to the waitress she kindly offered to get me another serving, and informed me that the cooks do that to stop the guac from browning. I thought hmmm, wonder if that works?

Today I made guacamole. I left two seeds in. (I figured if one works, two works better!) This picture was taken 3 hours after it was made. Look mom no brown!
I have posted my recipe for guacamole before, but here's a refresher. This is what I did today,

4 avocados peeled, seeded and smushed with a fork in bowl
4 garden tomatoes, I prefer roma
5 or 6 shakes of Tabasco
dollop of salsa (more if you don't use fresh tomatoes)
1/4 cup of sour cream (can add a little ranch dressing for a zing)
salt pepper
an avocado seed (or 2)

Mix and put in sealed container in fridge, with pits!

2 comments:

Reighnie said...

i don't eat that, but Hubbins does and he always leaves the seeds in it and he'll add some lemon juice too. Then we cover it with plastic wrap pushed down against the tops of it. Tends to work.

Lisa said...

This is a super cool tip. I love me some guacamole. Lots of cilantro added with lime. Yum!