Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Awesome . . .


So I am cruising right along in my plastic bag project and it is super easy and fun. I really hate making the "plarn", but I got into the groove of it late last night and made a big ol' fat ball that I think will finish off the bag. I hope to be done today. I still have no idea how to read crochet patterns (I haven't really tried) so I am inventing my own style. We shall see how it turns out. I want to finish it today for Earth Day and start one more . . . I will get to crocheting as soon as I get home from work, it's sitting on my chair calling my name . . . can you hear it?

You can find the instructions for making plarn here. (waving . . . Hi Cindy!) And please go check out her creations using cassette tape, VCR tape, and bread bags. She makes scrubbies, can cozies, hats, and Too stinkin' cool! I have a feeling I will be crocheting with plastic for a long time. . .

I have one problem, I don't use the bags from the store. I use totes. I do however have a solution. We ask people to bring us their used store bags into the daycare so we can reuse them for soiled clothing. When we ask to donations, we get oodles and oodles of bags. Usually so many we don't have room to store them. So now I will have an endless supply of plastic bags, and be fashionable with my crocheted bags!

3 comments:

Jo said...

I can't wait to see your finished project/s!

Carol said...

My grandmother made braided rugs out of plastic bags that bread came in. She used them for outdoor mats. They weren't that attractive, but with all of the other things that she recycled, I bet her carbon footprint was really low.

I'm excited to see your finished project.

Unknown said...

There is a MUCH easier way to make plarn than the "loop" method. A cool way to fold a bag and then cut it so it quickly ends up in one very, very, very long, continuous strand of plarn. Check out my blog at: www.UrbanSustainableSociety.blogspot.com
There is a how-to links section, with several links to others' instructions on this method. I still think I can show how to do it better than the linked sites, but I haven't made a YouTube video yet. Working on it!

Thanks for checking out my blog and learning an easier way to make plastic bag crochet PLARN.