Tuesday, June 24, 2008

One heck of a headache. . .

Today the whole family loaded into the van and headed to Indianapolis to the children's hospital for a follow-up appointment with the pediatric rheumatologist. McCartney has been doing very well in physical therapy and we have seen much improvement both in her muscle tone, her joint flexibility and a decrease in her complaints of pain. We have also seen some improvement in her behavior which supports my theory that her chronic pain was contributing to the horrific behavior. She is still strong willed and is super attached to me, but she is much more compliant and actually happier than she has been in months. Chronic pain can do horrible things to our psyche.

I had an appointment with a dermatologist last week for the "lumpiness" I have in my legs and now in my arms and hands. She did confirm that it was indeed Erythema Nedosum probably brought on by strep. I started a new med and the lumps are shrinking. A good side effect was that the med also helps my Plantar's Faciitis which is a painful foot condition. The not-so-good side effect happens to be headaches. I am struggling through them hoping that my body adjusts to the medication and the headaches cease.

This morning, heading to Indy with a car-full of kids, and husband I thought my head was gonna blow off my shoulders. I took some Ultram (which is pretty much useless for one of my migraines) and headed out the door with hope and some caffeine. I though if I ate and took more meds I would be fine.

The headache took on a life of it's own.

I have not had a headache like this since before taking my preventative medication and pre-children. My poor, sweet husband had to hear "My head hurts" and "I want to die" about every 17 seconds. By the time we arrived at the children's hospital I was sweating, chilling and so nauseous I could barely think straight. While talking to the doctor I had to control myself so I didn't blow chunks all over her. I held it together until I hit the parking garage and made friends with a trashcan. I'm not sure I will be able to eat a sausage biscuit from Burger King for the rest of my life. It is not fun coming out of your nose. I had to have Robert pull over on a couple side streets to puke my guts out for the next half hour or so. My poor husband. He wanted to show Harrison the new Lucas Oil Stadium where the Colts will play this fall and everyone got excited. And loud. Like a wonderful mother I screamed, "Will everyone PLEASE shut the hell up!" with snot and tears flying. Not a stellar moment, but I did say please.

Do you know what my husband did? He drove without a sound to a nearby park and took the kids out of the car to play so I could have a quiet, air conditioned nap. Then later, knowing I would yak from the smell of food, he took them to Steak and Shake while I napped some more. What a guy! I came home took a vicodin and I am functional, not 100% but not cursing at my kids either.

I love drugs.

I love Robert.


Anonymous said...

I hope you get feeling better real soon. You have so much going on. I am glad you are getting answers for yourself and your little one. Hugs.

John Good said...

Woah! Sounds like a repeat itinerary from last weekend, what with the stadium and Steak n Shake! =)

I hope you're feeling better!! (I'll stop shouting now)

Eos said...

I used to complain of "bad" headaches and some clueless doc said I had migraines so for a couple of years i walked around calling my "bad" headaches migranes until I saw my husband get one....yeah...I don't get those!LOL I feel for you though...our house goes into shut down mode when he gets one so I hope you feel better soon.

Angie said...

I hope you're feeling better soon. I'm glad things are looking up for your little girl though. Robert is quite a guy.