Thursday, November 01, 2012

Day 1 . . .

NaBloPoMo 
November 2012

NaBloPoMo. First time I have tried this, but here goes.  I will likely be using the writing prompts that BlogHer has provided because I feel like I have run out of juice, which is the primay reason for participating. 

Favorite Quotation.  Hmmm.  I am not sure if I would call it a quotation, but what I have been resting in for the last year is . . . " It Is What It Is."  Simple.  Plain.  But so powerful.

My version of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder tends to manifest itself in worry and fret.  I struggle with ruminations.  I worry about worrying.  I need to have plans.  I need to have back up plans for every scenario.  I need to feel prepared and have all my ducks in a row.  This is not always feasible and it drives my husband insane. He is a crockpot. He has to let things simmer and he doesn't worry about the future.  I am a microwave.  When I need a solution it has to be now and yesterday!

Over the last year or so, I have been working on letting things just "be".   It Is What It Is.  That doesn't mean that I don't plan, it means that I don't fret over the 50 scenarios that COULD happen.  I am working hard on changing those thought patterns.

It has been difficult.  It is much easier now.  It has been a journey that has given me peace.

Not only have I been living this principle for my future possibilities, I am learning to let go of the past.   It Is What It Is.  There is no changing things that have happened.  That goes for my actions, my kids actions and other's choices.   It Is What It Is.  Living with what has already transpired may not be easy, but fretting about it does nothing but stress me out.  Learning to live with It Is What It Is has given me the ability to take a breath, let go of the stress and walk away from the past.  There is not I can do to change it. 

When it comes to others, It Is What It Is has given me a much higher capacity to be tolerant.  I am able to take a step back and realize that I cannot change other people's choices.  I cannot control what they do.  I can express my opinion civilly, but I cannot be held responsible for their actions. Not only has that given me a peace, it has given me the ability to love them for the differences and changed the negative attitude I may have had in the past which benefits us both.

I am finding that I am able to focus more on loving and not judgement more than ever before.  And that, my friends, can only be a good thing.

It Is What It Is. 

No comments: