Thursday, August 12, 2010

Amazing . . .

Last night after my tattoo, I wanted Frosted Flakes because the kids and hubby were eating chicken legs and I don't do dark meat. We, of course, had no milk. Dustin has bought milk a couple times this summer. The first time was when I had just finished yardwork and I was GROSS. I sent him into the store with $3 and instructions to get "the milk with the ONE on it, and a K" (Kroger 1% milk). He still does not read, but his curriculum is a Functional Curriculum and that is what they work on . . . grocery lists and the like. I was nervous because while he had ran back to another aisle and gotten a few things before for me, he had never paid alone. He did it. I got Prairie Farms 2% milk, but he PAID for it and the $3 covered it. Woot!

The second time I got Kroger Vitamin D milk. But once again, it was paid for and he made it out with the change, the receipt and the milk. This particular store is a small neighborhood store, so it works well for him.

Last night I was not in the mood to go to the grocery, but I REALLY wanted cereal! I was on my way to the grocery and noticed the car was REALLY close to running out of gas. There is a gas station across the street from the grocery. I decided I would drop Dustin off and go across the street to and fill up. I left him with strict instructions to wait in their little vestibule until I returned. I drove back up to the store and there he stood, eyes HUGE, arms wrapped around a gallon of milk and clutching a receipt and change. It worked AND I got Kroger 1% milk for the first time! Woot!

For those of you with neuro-typical 15 year old or even average IQ 15 year olds, this sounds ridiculous to you, but to us it is nothing short of miraculous!

4 comments:

GB's Mom said...

way to go Dustin! Bells and whistles!!

Miz Kizzle said...

Good for Dustin! And good for you for being so patient.
You mention neuro-typical kids and those with average IQs. Are those two different categories? I'm not sure how to refer to my three kids who in days gone by, would have been called "normal." I know it's insulting to refer to my children as normal to parents of children with special needs but I'm not sure of the right terminology. Kids with no diagnoses? Kids with no acronyms associated with them? Kids in regular ed? The last one isn't right because they were all in gifted and talented classes and the eldest skipped a grade.
My two boys are in college and my daughter is starting her junior year in high school in a few weeks. My hubby and I are very proud of them but we don't like to talk about how well they're doing to our friends who kids aren't doing so well. It feels like boasting and I don't want to seem like I'm comparing my children to theirs.
Sorry this is so long but it's an issue I've struggled with.

Sheri said...

Miz Kizzle, I was specifically thinking about kids like Claudia's who may have FAS, but perfectly normal IQs, I wouldn't consider them neuro-typical due to the organic brain damage of FAS. I have no idea what is right or wrong either, in my head thats what I was thinking.

I don't mind at all when others speak of their kids and their accomplishments! I celebrate their success! Perhaps this is because I have 2 children who are very bright and had a good start in life, unlike Dustin.

However, I am not very PC when it comes to things, so don't take my word for anything! LOL I still use the "R" word sometimes! Eeeekk!

DynamicDuo said...

I smiled as I read this, we have 16 year old twin girls, look normal, but are FAS with low IQ, so days like you describe warm my heart as we are starting to see them as well. I often make a point to give the girls a chance on running in for a gallon of milk or bread or something so they can be so proud when they get it right!