Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Too True Tuesday (6) . . .

Go on over and visit Essie, author of this wonderful idea!

Today's assignment was to write about "what is the worst gift you ever got. A gift so bad you would have never believed it could have even happened had it not happened to you!"

When Robert and I got married, we got some really nice gifts and a bunch of moola! It was shocking to me how much really nice stuff we got. Since we were married in the summer some people missed the reception since they were on vacation and what-not. For several weeks afterward, every once in a while, we would get a gift dropped off at the church where I worked. It was always a pleasant surprise and exciting to open another gift.

The very last gift we opened was a doozy! It was dropped off by a wealthy couple in the church. The husband owns a lucrative business and has for many years. Their kids were friends of mine and were always well dressed and did not want for much. The entire family drove really nice cars. The family was a large supporter of the church. I was excited to open it and called Robert to tell him I was going to do it without him. . .

Inside the medium size box were 2 powder blue oval shaped plaques. On one of these plaques there was half of a plastic toilet replete with tiny toilet paper and magazines. The other plaque had a half of a sink on it with little tiny soap and some towels. The middle decorations were ringed in mauve ribbon and eyelet lace. At the top of the ring of ribbon were dried baby's breathe glued in a bunch, tied in more ribbon.

But wait, there's more . . .

The plaques were covered in a thin covering of dust. You know, that greasy, stringy OLD bathroom dust. The eyelet lace was spotted and icky. Ewww!

I. Swear. To. Goodness.

11 comments:

The Accidental Mommy said...

That. Is. Nasty!!!!!
LOL! Sometimes I think people are rich because they are so danged cheap!

annieology said...

Guhrosss! Regifting the used bathroom decorations.

FosterAbba said...

Nice.

zunzun said...

Well you know...they were redecorating and waste not want not....ok...I give up...that was just nasty.

Annie said...

Depressing, isn't it? I've gotten some clearly re-gifted old home decor on occasion from elderly people. I guess they think it is still "nice". Beats me.

atlasien said...

That's so tacky and disgusting!

The worst present I've ever seen wasn't given to me, and also looked pretty expensive...

I was at my aunt and uncle's house for Christmas one year with my two little cousins (then aged 7 and 10). The family unwrapped the present sent by my aunt's nasty stepfather. The present was a golf club with a weird brown gnarled and twisty 3-foot shaft, which was heavily shellacked. Very mysterious. After examining the tag, they discovered it was a novelty golf club made out of a REAL PRESERVED HORSE PENIS. It was extremely awkward explaining that... or trying NOT to have to explain that... to the little kids. Everyone left the Christmas tree that day feeling traumatized and nauseated.

Sheri said...

Atlasien WINS hands down!

Kari said...

Atlasien, Your comment made me think back to all those Christmas wishes I had for a pony. I'm thankful I didn't get that particular piece of one placed under my tree. Ewww. ~Kari

Miz Kizzle said...

That's the thing with rich people: many of them are stingy except for when they're buying for themselves.
When we were married my MIL's aunt, who is insanely rich (she owns two islands and about a dozen houses in places like Geneva and Paris) gave us a rusted metal colander, the kind that folds up flat. I suspect my MIL told her not to bother giving us anything nice because the marriage wouldn't last. That was 26 years ago.

Rachael said...

Shockingly bad taste! I hope they weren't visitors to your home, where you felt like you had to hang them! That's the sort of thing I would save for the next white elephant gift exchange.

Lisa said...

Ewwwwww.... but you're right atlasian wins....bigger eeeeewwwwww with a shudder and a twitch at the end.