Thursday, October 08, 2009

Poop doesn't always happen . . .

Remember back in May when Dustin was admitted to the hospital with what they thought was a small bowel obstruction? Well, it wasn't a true obstruction so they did not do surgery. It never really completely resolved itself either. He has complained off and on for months that his stomach hurts and he needs to go back to the hospital. Usually this happens when he is mad at us, so I have largely written it off to whining. Well, it seems it is back.

Here's where you should stop reading if you don't want to hear about bathroom issues. . . he was sent to the hospital on Tuesday evening with bad diarrhea and vomiting. For those of you who don't know, diarrhea commonly accompanies constipation and is not good at helping things move through the system. He began vomiting as soon as things hit his stomach. Like 10 seconds after he would drink water even, he would projectile vomit.

They did Xrays and bloodwork and sent us home. The pediatrician saw us in the morning and thinks there is something going on in his small bowel that is not allowing things to move through. He wants us to see a pediatric GI doc ASAP. Apparently ASAP to the GI doc means a full week. My 5'5" 92 pound child has had nothing in him for 36 hours and will not be able to eat or drink until things move. I cannot wait a week, but apparently I have no choice. Nice.

We have a couple minor meds to maybe get us through but last night was ugly. He is STILL sleeping at noon today. When he wakes up if it is bad, I will have to take him into the hospital. . . UGH! I have a call into the Ped GI's nurse. Maybe a crying mama will make them see him faster . . . I don't think it will work. If we end up in the hospital we will likely see the doctor we saw last time and he does not listen well. I hate doctors who do not listen.

***************************************

On top of all this I am an emotional mess right now. I am sure it is a combination of craziness at work because my mom (the boss) has been out as my stepdad has spent 9 out of 14 days in the hospital again, kids adjusting to new schoolyear, and Dustin's delusional episodes lately, but I am spent. I cry at the drop of a hat. I am so tired I can hardly see straight. The other day I clocked out and slept on my office floor! No matter how much sleep I get it is never enough. I am just plain whooped.

1 comment:

Thorn said...

Ewww, that sounds dreadful for all of you. I'd be melting down if I were you. It sounds like the hospital is your only option, so I hope it works out better this time.