Monday, September 26, 2005

I'm Frightened . . .


My husband attended the Anti-War rally in Washington this past weekend. I am rarely left alone, my husband and I are together all the time. It haven't spent time without him since before our children were born. I thought I would scared to be at home alone, but I think I am more frightened now . . .

I scoured the news on Saturday only to find scattered news concerning the march. C-Span did have coverage of the speakers prior to the 2 mile march through Washington DC past the White House, however the march was barely mentioned in the media. This irritates me! Hundreds of thousands were present as they marched from the ellipse and past the Whiite House. I think this is definately news-worthy! It scares me that hundreds of thousands of people descending on Washington DC for a peace rally does not make the news.

Mr. Bush was away from the capital as he oversaw hurricane efforts from Colorado (Colorado???) and Mr. Cheney had a scheduled surgery on his knee( on Saturday??). Jessica Lange made a comment about Mr Bush not ever being where he could see the will of the people. Perhaps the most interesting speaker was Ramsey Clark, former Attorney General of the United States. He made a compelling speech for impeachment of President Bush for high crimes and misdemeanors agfainst humanity. Visit www.impeachbush.org for more information.

So much of what was said Saturday scares me.

I am scared that so many people are oblivious to Mr. Bush's alienation of the remainder of the world. There are those that stand behind him on blind faith. They choose to ignore the fact that his policies and his principles are totally against what he claims rto stand for. There are those "christians" ( I hesitate using that word, because I consider myself one) who stand behind him as he lies and has no regard for human life, yet they back him because in their view he has morals. I just simply don't get it! And yet, most of those people would tell you just because you attend church doesn't mean your saved, it's your actions that count. Well, Mr. Bush's actions certainly count in the eyes of Cindy Sheehan and other mothers who have lost their sons and daughters in Iraq, for a war that was not warranted and not our business!

I'm scared that even my mother is blind to Mr. Bush and his phony war. This is a woman who I consider my role model and my best friend. She is the best grandmother my children could want, and yet she can't see past her republican views and see Bush for what he has done to make our country hated in the eyes of the world.

I am scared that my children will grow up in a world where America doesn't stand for justice but vengence. That our war will Iraq will continue to spend dollars that would help further justice in our own country. Money that would feed and clothe those living in our democracy. I pray that we would be more concerned with helping those in our own country with needs as we are with furthering democracy in a country that on a whole doesn't want it. What about our people who are left behind? What about our children who need educations so that maybe they will choose more wiasely than we have?

I am scared that our current two-party system will continue to tear at the fiber of our country and not meet the needs of everyone in the center. That we will have to choose the lesser of the two evils when voting.

We need a centrist candidate that will UNITE our country instead of UNTIE it.

Visit my husband's blog at leftofcentrist.blogspot.com for more info and pictures of the march.

1 comment:

Paula said...

Sheri, I'm scared,too and for the same reasons. I met Robert at the rally and left my comments on his blog.