Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day three ways . . .

My dad passed away 13 years this August. He fought a long, hard course of throat cancer that morphed into brain cancer. It was an ugly road. My dad obviously changed with the disease, but the best thing it did was not only draw him closer to God but also to us, his family. My dad was a strict disciplinarian and he instill in my brother and I a strong work ethic. We were given what we needed, but we had to work for what we wanted. He had high expectations for us. He had his flaws like we all do, but I recall the day we found out the cancer had returned and it was terminal. He sat my brother and I down in the living room and apologized for his shortcomings as a father. We healed as a family that day. The final months were tough, but we faced them as a family. I love my daddy and I miss him horribly. I wish he could've walked me down the isle and patted my pregnant belly. I mourn the fact that he cannot hold my babies or meet my husband. Happy Father's Day Daddy.

My Step-dad, Darwin, is an amazing man. He has not only been a fabulous husband to my mother, but he has welcomed my brother and I into his family as if we were his own children. from the very beginning, he made certain we understood he considered us his children. He is the only grandfather my children know and I couldn't ask for a better one for my kids. He is kind hearted and generous, trustworthy and level headed. Happy Father's Day Darwin.

I recall after Robert's brain surgery in 2001 when he looked at me and said, "Sheri we should become foster parents. There are so many children who need homes and we have the space and the love to give. It would be wrong not to." That my friends is why Robert is a fabulous father. He selflessly cares for Dustin and deals with his constant needs. He loves my babies and always finds fun things to share with them, teach them or play with them. He loves to explain things and does it in a way that really helps them understand how something works. I get a kick out of him sharing music with them. He is instilling in them a love for knowledge and music. I see unconditional love from him when he looks at them. The three kids are blessed to call him Daddy. Happy Father's Day honey!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

So sweet.

Kari said...

You've had wonderful men in your life, Sheri. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Linda B said...

What a nice tribute to the 3 wonderful men you were blessed to have in your life.