After the hospital early Sunday morning, Harrison had a fantastic day. He was happy, hyper and had next to no coughing. I was concerned about the evening because Croop gets worse as the night goes on. The ER doc told me to be cautious about the following night. I opened his window and put my humidifier in his room. The cool mist combined with the cold air is good for Croop, and this seemed to keep it at bay. This morning he was happy and pleasant. He wanted to go to school so I sent him.
I only worked a couple hours this morning and came home to rest since I was up all night with McCartney this time. She was coughing up a storm. Not really croop, but pretty wicked coughing. Robert's phone rang about 12:30 and I answered it. It was Harrison's school. She told me not to panic but asked if Harrison's asthma was flaring up. I told her about the Croop incident and she said he was struggling to get a good breath and asked if I could come right away. His pulse rate was also quite elevated.
I hopped in the care and headed over to school. We live about 20 minutes from the school. I was hurrying, but not panicked. It was the actual school nurse so I felt confident she would make a good decision. I knew she was concerned, but he seemed okay from what she told me. I turn the corner toward the school and I see flashing lights. There was a fire truck and an ambulance at the school. I was on the phone with my mom and I freaked out. My poor mother is stuck in Florida and freaking out about her boy!
I ran into the school and they told me they called 911 because not only was his pulse rate high, his breathing was getting worse and he had spiked a high temp. I was actually relieved when I saw him because he looked great compared to the last incident. The nurse erred on the side of caution and I was grateful. The EMTs said they were confident that I could transport him myself and we headed off back to the hospital.
It is a beautiful spring day and I was driving with the windows down. The cool fresh air helped to quiet his breathing and he calmed down. I decided to head right over to the pediatician since I didn't feel he was critical enough for the ER. The doc was concerned. He was really lethargic and had a horrible headache. He gave us more steroids for the Croop and some antibiotics because he felt it may head toward pneumonia.
So, once again we are home and he is resting. My heart needs some time to recover!
1 day ago