Friday, October 26, 2007

Let the whining begin . . .


My mother is super close to my kids. We see her daily since I work with her. The kids HAVE to give her a hug before school and one after school. On days she leaves early I have a chorus of whines and cries on the drive home that they didn't give Nanny (pronounced like Bonnie with an N) a hug! The weeping and gnashing of teeth may soon ensue if I can't get them side-tracked.

Sometimes I wonder if it is healthy. They truly stress when they cannot see her. I'm sure it is fine. I like they we are close. I was extremeley close to my grandmother and spent tons of time with her. I have posted before that she was the matriarch of the family and once she passed away the family pretty much stopped spending time together which greatly saddens me. But I digress . . .

My mom, the infamous Nanny, is leaving for Florida tomorrow. Three weeks of whining and crying for Nanny, counting the days until her return. Ugh! I do love that we can pretty much reach her at whim since she most always carries her cell phone. I can usually even reach her on the beach since my step-dad's cell phone seems to be surgically implanted on his hip. So, I let the kids bother her as they want. What is a Nanny for? Especially one who has forsaken you for sand and sea. This time may be particularly bad since the last time they went on the bi-yearly trek we went also. The kids are asking when we are leaving. Not this time sugar. As much as I'd love to go, it's not in the cards this season. We are however planning for next spring again, but as Harrison says, "That is forever." Especially to a kid who's Nanny is there right now.

Anyhoo, not only do I get to hear the whines, but I get more work as I step in for most of her jobs while she is gone. Whoppeee.

2 comments:

Kari said...

I'm close to my mom too, Sheri. She retired and bought an RV and I see her a few times a year now. It's hard on me and my kids but I'm happy for her. She's earned this!

I hope the time goes fast for you! ~Kari

Patty said...

It is so refreshing to read about a family that is sad about an upcoming seperation.

Why can't all those stupid talk shows put some of that on the television screen? Maybe the plethora of dysfuntional families would learn something REALLY valuable.

I will be praying that the kids whine quietly for you.