Thursday, December 28, 2006

One Punk Under God . . .

I just finished watching the third episode of One Punk Under God. The show is basically what the documentary crew following Jay Bakker catches on camera. Jay Bakker is the son of Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker of PTL fame. It is a wonderful program and I am so impressed by his convictions and his apparent mission to simply "love people" through Jesus Christ. The episode I watched tonight had him visiting his father in Branson. It was painful watching the riff between them. You could feel the tension between them after they spoke in private.

It reinforces to me that the "religious" sect or especially evangelical had a hard time when the disagree with someone. They are not the all-knowing translators of the Bible. They still interpret, and how do they know they are 100 % right? It scares me that they can be that exclusive. You need to understand that I grew up in a Pentecostal church. I still attend that church and support it monetarily. I do not agree with everything that is spoken from the pulpit. Do I have to? I don't think so. I can still see the greater good and can get past those things I think may be too open to interpretation. I have a personal prayer life, God can deal with me if I am in the wrong. Jay Bakker said something last week that I LOVED. He was preaching about homosexuals in the church and accepting them into his congregation. He said something I found totally astounding, "Because if we serve a real God and the Holy Spirit is real, if you think it's a sin, then don't you think the Holy Spirit will convict that person." Hallelujah! You got it! How can we turn those people away who are seeking the Lord? You need to give the Holy Spirit more credit than that.

That's exactly how I feel. WE are far too exclusive and far to judgmental. . . let's focus on loving people and let the Lord do His work.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally, real Christian words. I had to turn my back to the faith because of the pure hypocrisy I see. I'm glad there are still some sane ones left.

Patty said...

I try and live my love for the Trinity and my fellow man on a daily basis, but have not been in a formal church since I was booted out for choosing to divorce my second husband. I still wonder about the leadership that thinks it is better to cast the sinner out into a sinning world rather than keep them close until they see the error of their ways.

I don't need organized religion to love people and do the right thing by them. Enjoyed reading this post.

Unknown said...

I am with Fernando.. the hypocrisy of most religious sects drives me up a freaking wall. I have met very few people of "true faith"..which is love the sinner, hate the sin..because none of us is perfect.