Thursday, January 12, 2006

Blessings . . .

I have many blessings in my life to be thankful lately. That sounds a little strange due to the fact that our life has been turned upside down recently due to my adopted son's hospitalization. I thought I'd name them for you (and for me ) :

1. Our church started a disabled children's ministry in November. It is a blessing to know that there are people who are willing to help you in this "long strange trip" that those with disabled children face on a daily basis. This ministry offers a "Parent's Night out" monthly and game nights for the kids. A huge support for parents who usually have no where else to turn. This ministry came at just the right time. I don't think I could've made it through without their help over the last 2 weeks.

2. This disabled ministry brought into our life a wonderful girl named Cami. She is a spitfire. She is kind to the families, loving to the children and willing to ministry to us in anyway we could need. She is a truly compassionate girl. She simply pours out the love of Jesus. I am thankful to have her in my corner anyday!

3. I attended a support group last night for the first time with families with children with special needs. What an eye opener. I was blessed to know that my life is not the only one dealing with the same issues. I was humbled to think that there are others with much more dificulties than my own. I was relaxed when I went home simply being able to share issues that others in the room are going through or have made it through in the past.

4. My son's doctor finally understands what we are going through! Major blessing! This hospitalization was actually fruitful. Medications are regulated, behavior is on the right track, and my beautiful boy is happy. GOD IS GOOD.

5. I have a strong husband. He is the best daddy I could ever want for my kids. I am thankful each and every day that he is in my life. I am blessed that we have to opportunity to be in Dustin's life forever. I am blessed by him being my son!

6. I am blessed to have 2 "homemade" children that will grow up with more compassion since they have been exposed to disablilities. I am thankful that they are kind and loving and adore their big brother.

7. I am blessed to have a mother and step-father who support us in any decision we make. They are strong people who carry us when we can no longer carry-on through prayer and encouragement.

8. I am blessed to have a God who loves and cares for me. When I feel like a failure of a mother He encourages me. When I can't go on, He strengthens me. When I make mistakes, He forgives me. When I need Him, He is there. GOD IS GOOD.

9. I am blessed to have job that values family. they have worked with my schedule thorughout this time so that I could attended therapy and visit with my son. I am blessed to have kind and encouraging co-workers. I am blessed to have my children with me at work.

1 comment:

Kari said...

Sheri,
The ministry at your church sounds wonderful! I would love it if our church did something like that. I am glad to hear that you have a support group too...we have one here that has been very helpful for me.

It sounds like you have some great supports and resources...with this kind of help your family will make it through the tough times with your son. Thank you for writing this entry in your blog, it blessed me to read it. ~Kari